ON BEHALF OF THE MJCT EXECUTIVE
Please note that effective IMMEDIATELY the MJCT will be enforcing the broom moratorium as indicated in CurlMB’s rule book (see below). Given several concerns that were brought forward during the last two MJCT events that not all teams are respecting the request to follow the Curl Canada’s recommendations (when using the old fabric) it is the decision of the MJCT to change the broom requirements effective as of the next event in Stonewall Oct 15-17. All teams will need to comply by using the new WCF approved brush heads.
The Rules as posted in CurlMB’s rule book (page 7) are below and we’ve also attached the report from Curling Canada.
2016-2017 Broom Moratorium
Only World Curling Federation (WCF) approved brush heads will be allowed at CurlManitoba events.
The sweeping technique must be
a) Sweep in any direction; there must be brush head movement in the sweeping motion
b) The motion shall not leave any debris in front of the moving stone
c) The final motion shall finish outside the path of any stone
Unofficiatied Play (Regional Qualifiers, Berth Bonspiels and Bonspiels with a Berth)
1. In keeping with the spirit of the game, at unofficiated events, the brooms and sweeping technique shall be governed by the players and coaches keeping Fair Play in mind at all times.
2. If an alternate player comes into the game, they must use the brush of the player they are replacing.
3. The target broom must be the declared sweeping brush of the skip or vice skip (third). Using a separate or different broom as the target broom is not allowed.
Officiated Play (Provincial Championships)
1. All unofficiated play rules.
2. Any player using a sweeping device at Provincial Championships not approved will be suspended from the rest of the competition and the game will be forfeited.
3. Hair Brooms and Corn Brooms are banned but will be allowed to serve as throwing devices.
4. Each player must declare his or her approved sweeping device at the start of the game. A player may not change their brush head during a game, unless the Chief Umpire grants special permission. If a change is made without permission the team will forfeit the game.
5. All equipment will be checked and tagged prior to the event, any changes must be approved by the Head Umpire.
6. A player may request that an umpire inspect a brush prior to or during a game.